What a week! Whew! Thank God it's over! Last week, Abbey and Michael had a bit of the sniffles...well, by Friday night they were full blown sick.
Michael was hacking so bad he was gasping for air (and making Mommy a nervous wreck!) There's NOTHING worse then having a sick child (except having TWO sick children!!!!) After having had no more then 3 hours sleep on Friday night, we were off to out-patients to see a doctor Saturday morning. After chest x-rays, the doctor decided they had croup. Whatever?!? Now I am far from being a doctor but as an elementary school teacher there are a few things I can diagnose pretty quickly....pink eye and chicken pox are two of them and I know what croup sounds like. It's a barking cough...like a seal. Well when your children are puking (down your back I might add) from coughing so hard and the phlegm just being stuck there....that's not croup. But I left happy nonetheless just knowing they didn't have ear infections.
Back home, we went for another 2 days of sleepless nights. On Monday morning, I just couldn't bear leaving my little munchkins in anyone else care so I called my VP who got me a sub. I felt bad for my substitute because it was my "special friends" first day back from suspension but...family is more important. I enjoyed my time with them on Monday, getting lots of hugs, kisses and cuddles.
On Wednesday night, Abbey was up every 4 hours (as long as it takes for the Tylenol to wear off) complaining of an earache. I felt bad taking another day off so Steve did and he took her back into out-patients get double checked.
Times like that, I wish I was a cashier or something so that I wouldn't care about my job so much. This is when I struggle to find balance between career and family. I felt guilty taking another day off but then felt guilty being at work when my little baby was ill. Oye!
So...as you can see I couldn't be happier for Friday to have arrived and the end of an awful week. Next week will be much, much better! Abbey and Michael are still not 100% but they'll be back to full steam in no time!
Thanks for reading my rant. Positive posts to come ha!ha!
5 comments:
Missed you today. I hope you had a good day at your other school. I am so glad you took Abbie back to the doc....because you had a feeling that she had an ear infection and I know you weren't happy about the first visit to outpatients!!! Well, have a great weekend!
Poor little one's!! Hope they are feeling better soon :)
You are SUCH a great mum Chantal!
you really are a great mom, Chantal...and teacher for that matter. You did the right thing and after reading your post, I can only imagine how tired YOU must have been. Having a sick child is one thing, but being up all night worried and listening to every sound that comes out of their bedroom...I think it's pretty amazing that you didn't even comment on how tired you were through all this. You really think of everyone but yourself, Chantal...an anomaly amongst only children, no?
ahhh I hope your babies are better. I can not imagine how tired you were last week!! Mothers have super powers I swear!!! : )
I agree...Croup is a cough most moms recognize and with a few minutes of cold fresh air the coughing will stop. If they are coughing til they throw up, it did seem like an ear or throat thingy! I swear a mothers instinct is a true gift.Hope they are feeling better!!!
Post a Comment