Saturday, January 23, 2010

Eagles!

Today a caravan of us journeyed down to the New Minas area (with the Poole Family leading the way!) to see the eagles! Who knew it was so popular....follow the signs!

Pics of some eagles hanging out in the trees waiting for the food.


It was a sunny but cold day...with not a cloud in the sky! Check out this cool picture!
Here are pictures of the farmer dropping off dead chickens (you can actually see them flying out of the van...we saw this part) and then the eagles feasting (we missed this part but Trina got pictures for us).












Abbey, Michael, Sophie and Jackson trying to summons the eagles down! ha!ha!

There were 300 plus people lining the streets to see these eagles. Some had lenses on their cameras as long as my leg, obviously my little compact camera was not going to do the trick. This was a situation were size really did matter! Thanks to Mary and Trina for taking the pics to make this post possible!
Well, I've now seen the infamous eagles! I'm glad I did it once but won't be rushing back to see them again.

3 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

The eagles are truly majestic. There was a time in my early 20's when bald eagles like you saw were dangerously near extinction. The USA had them on the endangered list, and it was their National Bird. Because of programs like what our Valley initiated 25 years ago, to feed their dead chickens to eagles, they have flourished in this area and other parts of Canada In 2007, the USA moved them off the endangered list. Many conservationists have re introduced "Canadian Bald Eagles" to the States over the past 20 years. I think that is why the Eagle Watch means more to some older people than the young ones.. because we remember when they were absolutely "Rare".... I love seeing them fly over the road as we drive to Halifax.... or as they sit in the tree's along the highway.. "watching" a field. I don't enjoy the Eagle Watch... its too "commercial" and somewhat gross watching them tear apart chickens.

Donna's chitchat said...

Holy Frig... I sound like I am an 80 year old "naturalist"... geesh... what a know it all! Blah Blah Blah...

Anonymous said...

Haha, you won't be rushing back!! Why not??? Only because our kids complained the whole time, mainly mine....I guess you need to go without kids or if I had well behaved children like your kiddies or Trina's I could have enjoyed the Eagle watch! I did enjoy the company on the way there and back. Thanks for driving.
M:)