
Growing up in the Nation's Capital, I obviously loved celebrating Canada Day. It kinda evolved from walking around downtown with my family, watching the changing of the guards and eating Beaver Tails to partying downtown with my friends but the highlight was always the fireworks. I can picture Rideau Street, Parliament Hill and the market packed with people. SO many Canadians gathered to celebrate this amazing country we live in.
The McAlpine family had a super Canada day in our little neck of the woods. We biked to a park in the morning to play, dropped by school (the kids love it there), went on a picnic, took a nap, went swimming, played at another park, had ice cream and then came home to get ready for the fireworks. Every year, Steve and I build them up explaining that although they are loud it's so worth it to see all the wonderful colours brighten up the sky. Every year (until now) Michael has cried and wanted to go home. BUT tonight they stuck it out and even oohed and aahed a few times (with ears covered of course hee!hee!) If was a fantastic family day! As we were walking back to the car after the fireworks I overheard Steve tell Michael that this was his favourite Canada Day yet. Funny how things change eh?!? It's 11:3o pm - Michael and Abbey are already in bed and Steve and I are getting ready for it...pre-kids we would just be winding up getting ready for a big party and yet this is Steve's favourite Canada Day. Well to tell you the truth...it was mine too! I'm so lucky to have this family and so proud to be Canadian!
4 comments:
My dearest Chantal,
You hit the nail on the head with your description of C Day in Otown! I miss it like crazy every year I'm away. I always think back to the pub crawls we did, not caring what we were drinking, who we were talking to or what we had spilled down our tops! :o)
I've had some good C Days since leaving Ottawa, but nothing compares to celebrating in the nation's capital for me. It's so nice to hear that its possible to have "your favourite Canada Day" away from our hometown. Gives me hope! I'm still waiting for it (ps. don't think I'll find it in TO, but ya never know!)
Love you!
Tara
Canada Days are different every year. Its a cool holiday, depending on the day of the week,really, is where you are for Canada Day. But no matter what, you sort of always remember what you did last year, or the year before, etc.. and they are all different. You sometimes have a big party with family or friends, sometimes its just the fireworks, with kids, without kids, in a different city, in different weather conditions! I always find that on Canada Day, no matter what our day was like, we still always reflect on past Canada Days... and thats part of the fun!
Adorable...canada day synopsis and the kids-of course-in their professional soccer pics! can't wait to see you!
I am off to write about my Canada Day!
I love how you love your family!
Post a Comment