Sunday, June 27, 2010

Family Day at 413 SQN!

My parents were lucky enough to be in town (village really?!?) for Steve's work Family Day! It's always a great time and I was thrilled my parents got to experience it! For those of you who don't know...Steve flies the Herc with 413 Search and Rescue Squadron. Here's their logo...

Here's us walking to Steve's plane and Steve in the cockpit turning the engines on. I'm sitting behind him taking the picture with the Abbey and Michael beside me. SUPER FUN to witness take off in such a big plane first hand! This was the first time I flew in the Herc with Steve so I was very excited. Last time I flew with him, we were in a little Cesna so this was quite an upgrade!











Michael is in the cockpit with Daddy.





















There was a parachuting simulator that both Michael and Abbey (and I, but I'm too embarrassed to post pictures) tried. It was very cool! It surprised me how hard the jolt is when you release the parachute. Those SARTechs must have major chiropractor bills. Youch!



















My Mom has wanted to experience flying in a helicopter for some time now and she got to do it on Family Day...and with our neighbour Scott flying to boot! So fun! Here's my Dad mid-flight sitting with the door to the helicopter WIDE open...a little scary!














The most exciting part of my day was when my Dad and I went up in the plane Steve was flying for the mass SARTech jump. I have seen parachuters before but obviously had never been IN the plane they were jumping out of. It was amazing! I don't know how these brave men and women do it. Every ounce of your being says "Don't jump out of the aircraft!" and then they do! Hat's off to each and every one of them!!! I took a video but it doesn't do the experience justice!



Awesome day for all! Can't wait for next year! Maybe the McAlpine's will get to participate!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super cool experience for the whole family. Michael sure looks proud standing behind Steve, so cute! I want to see the picture of you trying on the parachute, lol. Great pictures!!

M:)