Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembrance Day

In Nova Scotia, Remembrance Day is an official holiday. There is no school and most businesses are closed out of respect. There are beautiful ceremonies taking place honouring all the soldiers and the sacrifices they've made for our freedom.


I was explaining to Michael and Abbey the significance of Remembrance Day and we were talking while colouring special Remembrance Day activity sheets. Michael said "I don't know anyone that's dead." Abbey responded "Yes you do Michael... Terry Fox. He was a soldier with one leg remember?!" I had to laugh. Kids always remember Terry Fox because we talk about him in September in all the schools and we all do the Terry Fox walk. The kids reference him all the time. Well now he's being praised by Abbey not just for raising money for cancer but apparently he fought to keep our country safe. lol! A little humour on this solemn day!

Today we remember....and are very thankful to the men and women (and their families) who made the ultimate sacrifice. I'm proud of our Canadian Military and proud to have a husband who is a part of it. 

No comments: