Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oaklawn Farm Zoo

What do you get when you cross a donkey and a zebra? All the locals know...it's a ZONKEY and we have our very own at the zoo near our house. Hilarious isn't it?!
The bird below completely freaks me out. It was so close to the fence that I didn't even use the zoom to take the photo. I was so nervous it was going to peck at me. I literally snapped the picture and ran. Anyone know if this is an emu or ostrich? Do they have teeth? Did I have a right to be scared? I think emus eat there own poop....is that true? Crazy colouring...look at those eyes sizing me up, and the mouth open just a bit waiting to attack! yikes!!!!

2 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

I have a pic on my blog of this bird too. He seems so curious. He loved my rainbow colored purse and was picking at this while I patted his head. He seemed pretty harmless... but agreed.. freaky.
Mr. Zonkey was in a galloping mood last night when we were there (for our third trip in two weeks) and was kicking and biting a zebra who seems a little amourous.... we shoo'ed the kids away, just in case there was some loveaction about to happen! geesh...

Anonymous said...

Love those big puddles in your ditch!!! I can't believe all the water that has accummulated over the month of July. It's not better weather in Ottawa but should turn nice by your arrival.