Saturday, May 8, 2010

E.R.T.

At the end of April, I was chosen to be a part of an External Review Team for a school's Accreditation process in Glace Bay, NS. Having just last year been the co-chair for my own school's accreditation (School Success Planning for Ontario people) process, I was excited to go into someone else's school (Bridgeport School P-9) and hear their story, their goals and strategies for implementing them. 
I bought some new country CD's, some snacks and off I went...bound for Cape Breton for three nights!  Here's me driving along thinking of Mary so I took a pic of her hometown sign lol!

YAY! I arrived safe and sound in Cape Breton!!! 

Being a part of an ERT was an amazing experience...TONS of work but great professional development. We worked long (very long!!!) hours analyzing data, modifying the wording of goals and helping the school and staff ultimately get accredited in four years time. 
When my team (Gary, the director of Education for the CCRSB and Kathy, a principal from the same school board) got up to go to the bathroom one night, I snapped this picture of the table where we were doing work in the conference room of the hotel. It was so dark and we were STILL working! I went to bed mentally exhausted every night...but I have to admit that I LOVED it!


Here's me and the "team"...ERT, principal and co-chairs!! 
Gary is on the left, then me and Firman the principal (interesting character), Wanda and Lisa (co-chairs) and Kathy on the far right end. 
I would jump at the opportunity to work with both Gary and Kathy again and I hope to be asked to take part in an ERT again. Right now...I'm enjoying being back at home with my family! Thank goodness my job doesn't take me away from home very often!

3 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

ok, its not report card time, so it must be Master's work you are procrastinating about.. hee hee...

that Firmin has a pretty tight grip on you kiddo...

Nice to see Welcome to Cape Breton. I miss that sign!

GailM. said...

I too miss that sign. It's been a long time. I love that Cabot trail sign. I only took it once to eat at that restaurant that is right there where the sign is.

Happy Teachers Appreciation Week! Teachers Rock!

Anonymous said...

Aww, thank you for taking the picture and thinking of me. I knew you would find it ok :)
It's fantastic that you enjoyed your time away and I agree with Donna...about the tight grip, but how could he help himself...heehee! See you on Monday, can't wait to give you a big hug. xox