Friday, September 18, 2009

He's BAAAACK!

and not a moment too soon! These past two and a half weeks have been the hardest ever of all the times Steve's been away. There was just so much going on...the dreaded bus situation, Abbey and Michael starting "maternelle", me starting my Master's and the craziness that is September for teachers...I thought I was going to go off the deep end (seriously!). But all that ended when I heard to garage door go up Friday morning at 4:32 am...a whole two days early! Yay!
Steve was staying in Thule and flying back and forth to Alert dropping off supplies. Here's a video of Steve landing in Alert...you can appreciate the conditions they were flying in. If you listen carefully after landing you can hear the reverse thrust kick in to slow the Herc down.


Here's a pic of Dundas Mountain ("The Beer Can") taken from the cockpit and one of Steve on top of it. He and the Winnipeg crew he'd been flying with while in Thule decided to climb it. It took them 22 minutes or so but the record up is a little over 6 minutes.











Cool iceberg shot taken from the cockpit. I'm fascinated by icebergs and would love to see one.


So, life back to normal! I'm a happy girl!

5 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

so amazing. What a wonderful post. My hat goes off to Steve. I am amazed those big planes can fly but its more amazing to a cockpit view of a landing...
Very cool pictures... I lead such a sheltered life!

Anonymous said...

If you want to see icebergs you can come visit me Chantal. We see them here in the harbour occassionally. We have had snow on and off over the last week so enjoy the warm weather you have now!
Congrats on starting your masters. Running a household, teaching school and having a husband away...I know that story. You can do it even if some days get really crazy! I am trying to get back into blogging so keep an eye out!

GailM. said...

Amazing video. I loved watching the lights come into view... then voila, it's the airstrip.... amazing is right. Love the iceberg too..

Anonymous said...

All Dad and I can say is---amazing, Stephen. How far you have come. We are really proud of you and your determination. We know it is no cakewalk.
Loved the pictures and the video---thanks Chantal.
I suspect that that is the closest we will ever get to an iceburg or the north.

mvm said...

Very cool post, the video was a little scary. I can't imagine the conditions they must have to fly in. Chantal you must be so proud of your man and happy he is back safe and sound.
xox