Sunday, April 19, 2009

Easter!

Easter morning came around pretty early...7:15am! Which is early for our little munchkins! This is what we awoke to! More snow...for the love!!!!



Abbey was the first to spot the baskets and quickly woke Michael up! They RAN from chocolate to chocolate and Steve & I had tons of fun watching it all happen. The Easter Bunny had hidden chocolate on every floor with the big finale in front of the fireplace in the basement. Funny how long it takes to set up but it's over in minutes. Super fun though!






With the "not-so-great" weather outside we decided to get busy baking. First, we made Donna's famous banana chocolate chip muffins (that I have become quite good at if I do say so myself ha!ha!) Here's my little Abbey helping out!





Then I decided to get fancy and all hell broke loose. Here's the back story...there's a little boy in my class, Gavin, who brings in fresh baked treats everyday and one day he brought in these adorable little cookies that looked like nests with Jelly Belly beans in the middle as eggs. Gavin's Mom volunteers weekly in my classroom so I asked her for the recipe which she promised was simple. I thought I could do it... I really did! Boy was I WRONG! Here are some pictures of the cookie making process...looks fun,was fun, tasted NOT-SO fun!!!!!






















To get the jellybeans to stick to the cookie you have to melt white chocolate chips. I'll spare you all the details (partly because I'm too embarrassed to re-tell it) but the melting and spreading was not my finest hour in the kitchen! OYE! Thank goodness my assistants were only four year olds and didn't really understand why Mommy was melting the chocolate FIVE times! ha!ha!


The finished product looked cute (I thought so anyway) but tasted not cute AT ALL! I brought them to school to share (a.k.a. get rid of) and didn't put a note or my name on them hee!hee! They were gone by lunch but not to rave reviews I'm sure. Here's a picture of the finished product! So much potential!




On another note, Donna found out that Abbey and Michael liked eating hard boiled eggs and so she bought me these awesome egg presses (from Japan no less!!!) to make lunches more exciting. Isn't she thoughtful!!! They are a huge hit! She bought us four different shapes, bunny, car, fish & bear. They are so cute! For lunch on Easter Sunday I made the kids Bunny shaped eggs. They thought it was so funny to bite the ears off! Thanks Donna! xo


Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter long weekend...and yes Mom... I DID go to church on Sunday! (the whole hour and half!!!!) ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cookies look great, I'm sure they tasted great! I think it's great that you took them to school and didn't put you name...so funny!
Hugs,
M:)

Donna's chitchat said...

Ok, Mary, what she didn't tell you was that she melted the white chocolate in the microwave for 2 minutes, until it was good and BURNT.. not once, but TWICE.... or was it three times...and then she melted it on the stove... and poured the flaming hot white chocolate into a plastic baggie and cut the tip off to use as a piping bag, but then the chocolate was too hot to hold with bare hands so she wore oven mitts to squeeze it out of the plastic bag but alas the bag melted and she had to start over...!!! hilarious. I have a few of those stories too...like laminated chicken...(sarah wrap forgotten on the baking dish and put inthe oven to bakc for 40 minutes...) the chicken came out nice and juicy and the plastic wrap was laminated onto the skin!!!
Love ya Chantal! and you know what.. they were delicious...really.. they were!

Anonymous said...

I'm not even going to comment on the cookies! But I'm telling you, my "15 minutes" of church every sunday is perfect!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I can totally see you freakin out in the kitchen...LOL
They do look goos though.
Love the egg presses.
T